Psychiatrist/Psychologist for Humanitarian Organization
Type: plný úvazek
Sector: Health and Social Care
Position level: Specialista
Have you ever thought of doing a challenging job abroad? Would you like to use your professional skills to improve somebody’s life? Are you willing to leave your family for several months to go and work in a developing country? If you answered “yes” to at least one of these questions, read further!
With ongoing conflicts around the world as well as the occurrence of natural disasters, the need for mental health professionals with experience in dealing with trauma has increased in MSF projects.
The main task of mental health professionals during their mission with MSF is training local specialists in crisis intervention and psycho-social first aid. Together with the local staff, they attempt to help victims come to terms with traumatic experiences after war and displacement or deportation, by means of counselling, modelling, and art therapy, as well as through occupational therapy.
Your main responsibilities:
- Define the orientation and content of therapeutic activities and work on the sustainability of psycho-social programs
- Supervise the work of national psychologists, psycho-social workers, and national counsellors in the mental health centres (MHC) in the field
- Co-ordinate with the national psychologist the psycho-education component (including training, material used, and development of material)
- Supervise the national psychologist in workshops and group activities developed on specific topics (i.e., conflict resolution) in the community
- Ensure national psychologists adhere to the charter of professional ethics (relating to confidentiality, appropriate sexual behaviour, etc)
- Through the development of the activities be aware of identifying specific issues that may need to be addressed, and areas where collaboration with the medical team may be important (i.e., reproductive health)
- Assist national psychologists, psycho-social workers, and national counsellors in the MHC and provide them with training through clinical supervision, seminars, workshops, etc.
- Facilitate case studies discussion with the psychologists in the field
- Implement and monitor the use of psychotropic drugs for the severe cases that we encounter
- Facilitate/organize the collection of data, its analysis and inclusion in monthly reports
- Attendance at an information evening where you can learn more about the organization and its work and speak with experienced field personnel regarding the roles in the field. You may then submit your application
- If your application passes the initial screening, we will check your professional/technical qualifications
- Suitable candidates will then be invited to take part in an interview and assessment
- Working contract for the duration of the mission
- Coverage of all mission-related costs (travel, accommodation, insurance)
- Working as part of a multicultural team
- Demanding but also very rewarding work
- Professional and personal enrichment
- Completed specialization (for psychologists, a completed degree in clinical psychology)
- Experience with PTSD trauma therapy is a must
- International and multi-cultural experience
- Available for a mission of 6 to 9 months
- Very good knowledge of English essential, other languages (in particular French) are a major advantage
Lékaři bez hranic / Doctors without borders / Médecins sans frontiers (MSF) is an independent, international medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, exclusion from healthcare and natural disasters.
Our teams provide medical care for millions of patients every year in many different types of projects in more than 70 countries around the world. In 1999 MSF was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
The main goals of the Czech office include recruitment of new employees for missions abroad, fundraising and informing the public about our work.